Areas of Practice

At Weiss Burkett, our attorneys focus on working with families, providing advice, document preparation, settlement, negotiation, mediation and litigation. Located in Lebanon, PA, we work with clients and families throughout Lebanon County and the surrounding areas. Our attorneys are experienced, knowledgeable and compassionate and work closely with you, no matter the nature of your case. We are dedicated to assisting you and in making your needs our priority.

Estate Planning & Probate

An estate plan includes your will as well as your power of attorney, trust, guardianship of minors, life insurance, and all instructions for what should happen to your estate, or everything you own, after death. An estate plan is essential for ensuring that your possessions end up with the people you love, as well as making sure that your family doesn’t face any confusion, excessive costs or financial losses. We will work with you to create your will, navigate the probate process, as well as continually update your estate plan so that all of your wishes will be met.

Will Preparation

A will is a document in which you state to whom your assets should go after your death. Our attorneys will help you create a thorough will that ensures your peace of mind and prevents any unnecessary distress among family members and loved ones when it comes time to distributing your possessions. We can also advise you on and help you prepare other “end of life” documents which you may desire, such as Powers of Attorney and Living Wills.

Home icon
Family icon

Family Law

Small Business Formation

When creating a small business, make sure you have an experienced lawyer on your side. We determine what type of business organization is best for your needs, as well as create any needed documentation and contracts, making sure all of the details are laid out so you can enjoy success.


Will the police enforce a custody order?
The police will likely not enforce a custody order. Typically they consider this a “civil” matter and will not get involved. If a custody order is not being followed, the way to have it enforced is to file a petition for contempt of the order with the court. A judge will then hear the case and determine if there has been a violation and what sanctions, if any, should be imposed.
Can I get an emergency custody order?
Emergency orders are typically granted where there is harm shown to the child. If there is no harm to the child, the best avenue is to file a custody complaint.
What is the waiting period for a divorce?
Pennsylvania is a “no-fault” divorce state, which means you are entitled to a divorce if you desire one. From the time of filing a complaint, there is a mandatory 90 waiting period before a divorce can be finalized unless the parties have been separated in excess of 1 year, in which case it is shorter. In all instances, economic issues must be determined prior to finalization of a divorce.
Do I need an attorney to help with the formation of my business?
Generally speaking, it is most prudent to have an attorney help you through this process, since there can be hidden risks if you do not have sound legal advice.
The co-parent and I get along well and we don’t have any issues. Do I need a custody order?
The decision to obtain a custody order is personal based upon your individual situation. However, particularly when parents have a good working relationship, it can be very beneficial to have a custody order. This can be done by agreement, streamlining the process, and protecting everyone.
Can one attorney represent both my spouse and I in a divorce?
An attorney can only represent the interests of one party in a divorce. It is an impermissible conflict of interest for an attorney to represent both parties. However, it is permissible for only one party to hire an attorney so long as the other spouse is comfortable proceeding without counsel. There is no requirement that both spouses have separate counsel.
What are the other end-of- life documents?
In addition to a will, each person should consider having a power of attorney document which appoints a trusted individual to handle financial and legal matters in the event of incompetency. A power of attorney expires at death and the will then takes over. Finally, each person should consider having a health care power of attorney/living will document that directs their health care in the event of irreversible conditions.
Who should have a will?
Every adult should consider end-of-life documents tailored to individual needs. A will is critical when you have children, so that you can name a guardian and set up a trust for inheritance purposes. Wills also direct where and how your assets are divided and is the main tool used to ensure your wishes are carried out.
Briefcase icon

Let us help you and your family. Contact us today at 717-273-1661 to schedule a consultation.